In 2008, more than 30 community residents gathered to share interest in and questions about the feasibility of researching if/how our downtown concrete-channelized Hoosic River might be transformed into a 21st century flood control system that is also an attractive, accessible, and ecological asset for the city.
From 2008- 2013, the River Revival Coalition:
- Raised funds for community outreach presentations and consultants’ research
- Hired consultants to lead an all-day event about USA restoration projects
- Created a website, a historical walking brochure, 2 community gardens
- Became a Priority Project for the State of Massachusetts
- Shared consultants’ restoration options for our river at city-wide meeting
- Formed a 501 c (3) corporation called the Hoosic River Revival.
From 2014-17, the Board of Directors and Advisory Council of the River Revival:
- Honored that Founder Judy Grinnell was given EPA Region 1 Merit Award
- Chose with Mayor the site of Phase One restoration: South Branch Noel Field area
- With strong support from Rep. Cariddi and Sen. Dowling, MA legislation voted to include $8,775,000 for Phase One in ’15-’19 Environmental Bond Bill
- MA Gov Patrick urges MA Div. of Ecol. Restoration to allocate $500,000 for preliminary design of Phase One South Branch restoration
- Submitted the Phase One design to the NY District Corps of Engineers and subsequently received the Corps’ analysis/recommendations
- Increased fund raising efforts with goal of hiring of our first Executive Director and submitting next level of Phase One design to the Corps
- South Branch development temporarily stalled while working with the Extreme Miniature Railroad Museum on Sons of Italy parcel-sharing agreement
- MA Dept of Ecol. Restoration shifts $220,000 from South Branch to development of a conceptual plan for North Branch, bringing their ’09-’17 funding total to $700,000
- Worked with artist David B. Borden on his tri-part public art display
We look forward to the next step in this most challenging and exciting endeavor: .to go from ‘design to development’ of the Phase One restoration of the Hoosic River in North Adams.